You are here: Home --> Who am I?
My educational background is in forestry and forest biology, which I studied at both the undergraduate (Bachelor's) and graduate (Master's) levels at the University of Toronto.
IBM, Toronto (Ontario)
- I was hired under short-term contract (6 months) as a technical writer.
- My work: I helped review and revise the documentation for a system migration utility.
Canadian Forest Service, Sault Ste. Marie (Ontario)
- I was employed for 7 years as a technical and scientific editor.
- My work: editing journal manuscripts and technical reports produced by scientists performing research in forest biology, plant physiology, reforestation, entomology, ecosystem function, ecosystem-level hydrology, plant nutrition, economics, and plant pathology.
Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada (FERIC), Pointe-Claire (Quebec):
- I was employed for 10 years in a wide range of communications roles.
- My work: technical editing, technical writing, marketing writing, French translation, Web design, design of slide presentations and multimedia software (Powerpoint, Flash), creation of online help systems for decision-support software running under Microsoft Windows. FERIC's research focuses on operational forestry research (applied science) in harvesting, reforestation (silviculture), and transportation and roads.
- I've been performing occasional freelance work for clients since the late 1980s; in 2004, I chose to become a full-time independent consultant.
- My work: My current clients include FERIC (see above), the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, and Egawa Language and Scientific Services (for whom I work as a scientific editor, helping Japanese and Chinese authors publish their work in peer-reviewed journals).
|Named "Fellow", STC (Society for Technical Communication)": February 2006|
©2004–2013 Geoffrey Hart. All rights reserved